Saturday, May 2, 2015

Vappu 2015 – Bonfire, motorists, circle lenses and free sima!

Hello everyone!

On last April and 1st May we in Finland and Sweden celebrate Vappu/Valborg it's also known as May Day or Walpurgis. I'm most used to call it Vappu, the Finnish version.
What we do depends on if you are a Swede or a Finn and yes, there are differences. The traditions are slightly different and well, because I live between both countries I get the best of both worlds! :'D

On last April Swedes lit a huge bonfire that burns for hours; it's called "majbrasan".
In my town the biggest one is at the shore area. I went there with Hasakitsuki after we had eaten some pizza in town because our original food plans got screwed over and we were late visitors – but it was still burning.


May bonfire still burning while the sun is setting.
We also saw some swans passing by – Finland's national bird.
I don't know much more of how Swedes celebrate because I've been brought up with the Finnish traditions which, honestly, are a lot more fun!
Vappu in Finland is a public holiday and it's the only carnival-style street festivity in the country – in other words Vappu is the perfect excuse to dress up in wigs, costumes, wear crazy contact lenses and party hard in town! :'D Yes, people both young and old particularly students  party outside and some wear their student caps. Towns will hold different activities and the mood is set high.

On first May it was time to wake up early and go see what Finland had to offer, in terms of May Day events. Of course I dressed up a little bit more fancy than usual!


Outfit of the day selfie!
I wore my new cosplay wig, a Batman shirt, scarf, a hoodie and circle lenses. I chose to wear one blue lens and one black lens – more fun! If you wonder what lenses they are the black one is GEO Mimi Cafe Cappuccino Gray and the blue one is I.Fairy Hanabi Blue. :)
I also wore normal gray jeans and a belt that is teal and black, but it doesn't show on the photo.

We got to Finland just in time to watch the "motoristien vappuajo" (lit. the motorist's Walpurgis drive) event! It's basically all motorbike and car enthusiasts driving a sort of parade around town to show off their vehicles – both old and new!


The Finnish flag was raised!
First some motorbike glory...
... and then the cars! :'D
(I edited out the register plates)
There were a lot of super cool old cars and badass motorbikes! I was surprised how many there were in total – the vehicles just kept coming and coming! And you kinda wished it wouldn't end because it was really awesome to watch.

Once the motor enthusiasts had left we headed back into the mass of people and checked the outside stands – there was the usual ice cream bar, of course.


If only the weather had been less dull and hey-it's-gonna-rain-any-minute I
would have wanted the monster ice cream... (to the right)
Yep, I forgot to mention earlier but the weather was.. disappointing. It was all gray and cloudy and the sun was nowhere to be seen! Then again, this is seemingly our average Vappu weather and every fourth time it rains to boot...
So yeah, the weather kinda screwed up the ice cream mood
– who feels like ice cream when it's chilly and gray outside?

Oh well, no ice cream for me meant that I checked another stand and there I saw sima and typical pastries all over the place. I also saw some random people taking said pastries and drink and then I stepped closer and asked the person behind the counter how much it cost – she said it was free. FREE.
OMG yes! Nom nom nom! ~


Free sima and jam pastries! <3
What made it even better was that the sima tasted like home-made one, yum! And the empty big coke bottles in the back hinted that it veeery likely was. I do say that the pastry was pretty damn good as well!

There were also some political parties holding their speech outside but well, I don't care about politics and neither does Hasakitsuki so we just went back inside the shopping center to kill some time, while we waited for the male choir to start.
Inside the shopping center all stores, except food stores and the restaurant/food places, were closed. We just walked around and then we needed to go the bathroom. After all the strolling around we had spent enough time waiting so we went back outside to listen to the choir – it consisted almost only of middle-aged men, much to my surprise. They were really nice to listen too though! I want to do that when I get old lol.


The choir singing.
The songs were mostly songs about Finland (in different ways) and songs for celebrating spring and the students graduating.
I did have a panic moment during the choir though! After the first song I thought that I'd change my camera lens to take some more photos and then it hit me – I HAD FORGOTTEN MY GODDAMN BAG IN THE BATHROOM!! OH NOEZ--
I ran like hell back into the shopping center and into the bathroom I had used. Much to my luck my bag was still lying there on the floor (how could I have forgotten it?! *failwhale*) and it seemed to have been untouched. I checked inside it and my camera lens, wallet, gloves and even my lens case was still in there. Phew!
I took it and walked back outside, all tired and panting from the running and with blood taste in my mouth... yipee. ._.

The choir performance didn't last long (maybe around 15 minutes) and after that we decided to go and eat lunch in town; we both were fairly hungry and some fried chicken from the Chinese restaurant wouldn't be all wrong!


Fried chicken and rice – so good!
After having eaten we went back home and then later on the evening we went to Jäätynyt Enkeli's and played video games late into the night. It's called Monster Hunter and we love it! <3 
Oh, and of course –for snackswe had some home-made donuts and sima that mom had made earlier. There is no Vappu without home-made sima!

That about wraps it up! Thanks for reading and bye bye!

1 comment:

  1. Sima. <3 I love the way your eyes look with different colors, it's one hell of an effect. (especially with one black eye... I mean gray)
    Thank you for a very nice May Day! Now be eagerly waiting for the next one so we get to drink sima again... hmm...

    ReplyDelete

Consider dropping me a comment if you enjoyed this post ~
Maybe you got inspired, learned something new or you have some other things you want to tell me? I really like getting feedback so don't hesitate to write a line if you have something to say – a little dose of appreciation brightens up my days. (。◕‿◕。)
Psst, I read everything even if I don't always answer! ^_^